Throughout his career, Mr. Murphy has been active in a number of professional organizations including the Business Law Sections of both the American Bar Association (ABA) and The State Bar of California, California Continuing Education of the Bar (CEB) and the Panel of Arbitrators of the National Association of Securities Dealers. In 1989-1990, Mr. Murphy served as Chair of the Business Law Section, the largest section of The State Bar of California. He is the current Chair of the Small Business Issuers Subcommittee of the Federal Regulation of Securities Committee and the former Chair of the Subcommittee on Emerging Companies of the Middle Market and Small Business Committee of the ABA Business Law Section.
Mr. Murphy has had an “AV Preeminent” rating from the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory and Bar Register of Preeminent Attorneys since 1996. He has been a member of the Board of Visitors of the University of San Diego School of Law since 2008 and was the recipient of the 2012 Distinguished Alumni Award.
Mr. Murphy’s professional activities have included:
- Chair, Small Business Issuers Subcommittee, Federal Regulation of Securities Committee, Business Law Section of the ABA (2011- )
- Chair, Subcommittee on Emerging Companies, Middle Market and Small Business Committee, Business Law Section of the ABA (2006-2010)
- Member, Private Equity and Venture Capital Committee, ABA (2001- )
- Executive Committee, Business Law Section, The State Bar of California (Chair, 1989-1990; Vice-Chair, 1988-1989; Treasurer, 1987-1988; Member, 1986-1990; Advisor, 1990-1991)
- The Council of Section Chairs, The State Bar of California (Member, 1989-1990)
- Education Committee, Business Law Section, The State Bar of California (Chair, 1985-1986; Vice-Chair, 1984-1985; Member, 1983-1986)
- Editor, California Legislative Bulletin, Business Law Section, The State Bar of California (1984-1986)
- California Continuing Education of the Bar (CEB) Business Law Advisory Committee (Member, 1983‑1997)
- Panel of Arbitrators, National Association of Securities Dealers (Arbitrator, 1982‑1995)